Monday, May 27, 2013

Happy Memorial Day!


Querida familia,

Happy Memorial Day! Even though we don´t have this holiday here (obviously), I looked at my calendar from the US and realized today is Memorial Day. I hope everybody is enjoying the day and that you all have the day off :)

This past week was crazy busy. We went to Asa Sul three days in a row for training, but it was SO great! Our training was on the importance of the message of the Restoration. President Gaertner even showed up for the first half hour of training on Wednesday. He spoke a lot about how the church is different from all other churches because we have personal revelation. A lot of what he said was like he was reading my mind! I really enjoyed hearing from him and from the zone leaders. The practices we did were fun and helpful. 

I also discovered this past week that I love contacting (talking to random people in the street). I think I have less shame here because it´s not my country. How terrible am I? haha. What´s really interesting is that I can have a conversation with somebody and they understand every word I say, but once they discover I am American and my comp is Brasilian they immediately stop talking to me and address all questions to her. It´s like once they have a confirmation I´m American they all of a sudden can´t understand a word I say. Don´t do this with foreigners in the states!!! Always give them a chance to talk and TRY to understand what they are saying even if it´s difficult. Serving in a foreign country has been a humbling experience and it has made me more aware of how I treat others. 

Yesterday we had 10 investigators at church!! It was amazing. One investigator, Leeraney (pronounced Lee-HA-knee), is the grandson of Irmã Nena in the ward. Nena was inactive for 25 years and started coming back to church in January. I don´t think I have emailed much about her, but she is one of the most incredible people I have ever met. Leeraney is 18 and such a good kid, he just lacks good friendships and direction in his life. Saturday night when we were thinking about who would come to church we wrote "Leeraney (milagre)" because we knew it would be a miracle if he came. When he walked through the doors during the sacrament hymn I got the biggest smile on my face! Poor Nena didn´t see him walk in so by the end of sacrament meeting she was crying because she was so sad and frustrated he didn´t show up. We have been trying for weeks to get him to come. We even gave him a tie so he would have a complete outfit for church.

It was so great having so many people in church. Hectic, but great. This week we have more training in Asa Sul about the Book of Mormon. We already went this morning and have practices tomorrow. The weather here is getting more dry, but I like it. Right now the climate feels like home :) 

I included a picture of Sister Damaceno, Irmã Nena, Leeraney and I at church yesterday. Thanks, mom and sis, for the cute dress!!! I got a ton of compliments on it :) 


LOVE YOU ALL!! 

Sister Kerr

Ps. If anybody sends any packages please write "Missionary Supplies" or something similar as the contents of the package. Also, make sure to mark it as a gift! And don´t disclose the true value of the package. Packages can be subject to a tax if they think you are going to resell the contents.

Thanks :)


No comments:

Post a Comment