Monday, March 18, 2013

Waiting Game


Last week flew by! (Finally, right?) There is so much to report today! So when I checked my email I had two very important and exciting emails. Don't get too excited, I didn't get my visa. BUT Sister Hunt, Sister Wolfley and Sister Ryan all got theirs!! Some of the elders from Sister Hunt's district got theirs as well. Sisters Hunt and Wolfley got theirs on Tuesday and Sister Ryan got hers on Wednesday. They all leave today! It's crazy to think tomorrow they will all be in Brazil meeting their new mission president and speaking Portuguese.

We had interviews with the mission president last week, and he is kind of already planning on me leaving by the end of the transfer which is next week. Still no word on my visa, but it could come any day now. Truthfully, I want to be in Brazil, but I'm happy serving in NoHo for a little longer. There is still so much work to be done here! I have come to love the ward and the area. Missions are kind of mean. You get super close to people and then are taken away from them haha. Sister Ngalu and I have some great ideas we want to implement in the ward, so I would totally be okay staying here for a few more weeks.
Last Tuesday I had such a tender mercy. After an appointment in the early afternoon, Sister Ngalu and I decided to go contact some referrals from the sister missionaries before us. On our way I had a feeling we should help the Farrs pack. We drove by their apartment complex and I knew they were planning on moving to Utah so I suggested it to Sister Ngalu. She reminded me they had planned on leaving that morning, so they were probably gone. I agreed, but I couldn't stop thinking we should go see if they needed help packing. So we turned around and drove back. Their apartment is very inconveniently located and I kept hoping we weren't wasting our time.

"Hi Brother Farr, do you need help packing?"....He replied, "Nope, I think we're good." Dang it. Why the heck did I think we should come by? "But," he said, "you can come give my wife a hug. We just found out this morning we lost the baby." Sister Farr had been about 12 weeks pregnant but that morning the doctor told them the baby stopped growing around 9 weeks. She was sitting on the couch with tears streaming down her face. We went over to her, gave her a hug, then sat and talked with them for a little bit. I am so grateful I listened to the prompting. It was a humbling experience to be able to walk into somebody's life at a time like that and give them a little bit of comfort. We were definitely the Lord's arms when we gave her that hug. He sent us there for her.

Being a missionary is unlike anything else. It is so great! I hope everyone has a wonderful week. Love you all!
Sister Kerr

No comments:

Post a Comment